STEPS TO ADOPTION
Steps to Take:
- Please visit the shelter to meet all the wonderful adoptable pets. You may also see a pet online and start the adoption application process.
- On the application, if you do not have a veterinarian reference, please consider one you may be using.
- Adoptions may or may not happen on the same day. Adoption approval may take a few days.
- Once approved for adoption, we will arrange a date and time with you to pick up your new adopted animal.
On the Day of Adoption:
- While animals may be visited up until closing time, adoptions cannot be completed within 1/2 hour of when the shelter closes. Adopters should give themselves a minimum of 45 minutes to visit with the animals and complete the adoption process.
- Payment is made at the time you come to pick up your pet.
- If you are adopting a dog, please bring a carrier and/or leash and collar with you to pick up your pet.
- If you are adopting a cat, you will be required to bring a carrier.
- Animals are not deemed adopted until all paperwork has been processed, fees paid, and the animal is released.
Adoption Fees Cover the Following:
- Up to date shots/vaccinations for the pet's age
- Heartworm test (dogs over 6 months)
- FIV/FeLeuk test (cats)
- Includes free vet exam within 2 weeks after adoption. All animals are spayed or neutered before adoption.
Please note there’s no such thing as a “free pet.” Such medical procedures performed by the animal shelter would cost well over $300 at an animal hospital.
Toledo Animal Shelter is a no-kill shelter and a Non-profit, 501c(3) organization. We depend on your donations in order to rescue more pets from ill fate, as well as care for our current pets. Adoption fees are based on the cost to administer shots, vaccinations, medications, and to spay and neuter rescued pets. We can only help our current pets and future pets when additional donations are made. As a private shelter, Toledo Animal Shelter operates with income provided by adoption fees and donations from the public. We receive no government funding.